iStock-1135624812

Prevent Electrical Fires at Home

 

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical fires are the third leading cause of residential fires in the U.S. Certain items like electrical cords under rugs, extension cords pinched behind furniture, overloaded outlets, or phones charging on beds can pose a serious fire danger to your home and family.

In addition to using appliances and outlets safely, take steps to keep the electrical system in your home in good working order, maintain your home’s smoke alarms, and learn the warning signs of an electrical fire or faulty electrical system.

It’s always a good idea to check and repair electrical systems every ten years to ensure everything is code compliant and working properly. Small upgrades and simple safety checks, like making sure outdoor grounds and connections are secure, can prevent fire hazards or other electrical problems down the line. For help ensuring your home’s electrical system is safe, call one of Mr. Sparky’s electrician’s 24/7 at 210-764-5088.

To keep your home from going up in flames, we suggest you heed these simple steps:

Unplug Items from Overloaded Outlets or Circuits — Fires often start when too many things are plugged into a single outlet or circuit, causing them to overload and cause a fire.

Use Extension Cords Properly — Another frequent cause of fires are extension cords. Extension cords are designed for temporary use, but many people leave them in place permanently and forget about them. Cords can easily become pinched by furniture, and over time, lead to a fire.

Use Light Bulbs of the Correct Wattage in Lamps and Fixtures — Bulbs that have wattage too high for a fixture can overheat the fixture or wiring. This can easily cause an electrical fire. We recommend switching to LED lights. LED’s provide the same amount of light at a lower wattage.

If you notice thick smoke, sparks, or short circuits in your home, call the fire department immediately. Other warning signs of a possible electrical fire could include a sizzling, popping or buzzing sound, or the smell of burning wires. Firefighters can use thermal imaging technology to see excessive heat inside the walls. Immediate attention to these signs can save lives and prevent an electrical fire from destroying your home.

Call Mr. Sparky 24/7 at (210) 446-5050 or (830) 446-3909 if you think you may be experiencing problems with your electrical system. If you think your house may be on fire, call the fire department or 911 immediately.